bluelogohori

Contact Us      SCM in the News      Press Room      Mission Statements   

about 1

History of South County Museum

Founded in 1933, South County Museum was originally housed in a barn in Wickford, R.I., and after two more moves
it eventually arrived at its present location in 
Canonchet Farm, a 174-acre public park owned by the town of
Narragansett. The Museum is an independent nonprofit organization funded through donations, grants and admissions.
Today the collections contain more than 20,000 items. They date from pre-European settlement to the 1950s.

The main exhibit building, the Metz Exhibit Hall, was built in 1987 and the Carpentry Shop, Blacksmith Forge, and the
Carriage Barn somewhat later, along with the small building, now the One-Room Schoolhouse, nestled between the
Forge and the Barn. The grounds include the Living History Farm, featuring a heritage flock of Rhode Island Reds, the
official state bird.

Canonchet Farm was the home of the 12th governor of Rhode Island, Col. William Sprague, and his wife Kate Chase,
daughter of Salmon P. Chase, Abraham Lincoln's Secretary of the Treasury. Their 66-room mansion, which the
Spragues named 
Canonchet after the grandnephew of Canonicus, the last great Narragansett Indian sachem (chief),
was located adjacent to the present Museum property.

The mansion burned to the ground on October 11, 1909, after an ember escaped from one of its many fireplaces.
Little survives from the Sprague era except the Robinson cemetery (a small family plot near the Museum’s entrance ),
the stone ruins of the Sprague stables (which burned in 1950),  a few tiles unearthed in 2003 during the construction
of a nearby home, and a rather odd grandfather clock imported from Paris. The Visitors Center, thought to have been
an icehouse, remains from that period. The Caretaker's Cottage also dates from the Sprague period and was lived in
or used by Gov. Sprague's employees.


about 2

Photos, top, The Metz Exhibit Hall, left; the Sprague mansion;
Above, Col. William Sprague and Kate Chase Sprague


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

© South County Museum 2016 

P.O. Box 709, Narragansett, RI 02882

401-783-5400  

info@southcountymuseum.org 

Home        FAQ        Events Calendar       Exhibitions & Collections       Support Us

ULYO3Me© SCM 2016